2009-03-01

Visit - Hong Kong Fire Services Department

For me, I never realize that the facilities in the fire station can be so advanced, lots of hardware and software. The same with the scene of a fire, I think that the Information Technology Management Unit is also another battlefield.

-->

(ref: http://www.hkfsd.gov.hk/home/eng/history/history.html, retrieved on 1/3/2009)





“Team spirit” is the thing that the Fire services Department always pays attention to, no matter when the firemen fight against the fire, or the support from the ITMU to the firemen. And this inspired me to think of the content of this reflection.

Individual to Collective to Organization

Individuals have their own characteristics, just like my style and ideas may not be the same as yours.

When different individuals come together, this creates a “chemical reaction”. I still remembered a question – “Is organizational learning = Σ individual learning?” This made me to think of a term “multiplier effect” from Economics. However, this time, the multiplier is not a constant. Through the interaction between individuals, they will generate more and more ideas. However, human behavior sometimes will be affected by the term called “self – maximization” - people will maximize their own profits under constraints and not willing to share. This will create a poor atmosphere of organizational learning.

After the visit, I agree that Fire Service Department creates an excellent atmosphere of organizational learning. Although different posts may have different tasks, the final goal is the same – provides excellent service to the citizen and protect every HKSAR citizen =]

Deeply thanks to the Fire Service Department ^^

2 則留言:

  1. I like the discussion of individual-collective-organization. You may discuss more about the impact of team spirit, culture towards effective LO.

    回覆刪除
  2. Reply IVY,
    Thanks for your suggestion. In this week, I will add the topic about the impact of team spirit, culture towards effective Learning Organization.

    回覆刪除