As a part-time shop assistant of IKEA ……
~ Memorized some of the measurements and features of the furniture, e.g. the possible combination of the shelving units.
~ If there are some new comers of shop assistant, I can explain the combination to them.
~ Use the customer’s floor plan or provided space to draft the possible combination.
~ Analyze whether the combination suits the customer’s need or not.
~ Combine the ideas to form a full picture.
~ Evaluate which combination is more appropriate.
~ Draw the conclusion.
Synthesis & Evaluation
(ref: http://www.businessballs.com/bloomstaxonomyoflearningdomains.htm retrieved on 7th Feb., 2009 )
Which one rank first? Synthesis or Evaluation? After the analysis, you prefer do the judgment first or to form a new picture first?
I think about this question and cannot have a clear mind unfortunately. Friends, what do you think about this?
But one conclusion I’ve made is that the process of synthesis and evaluation is looping. (Can I think of this way?) (Revised ~ the inspiration came from the comments: I also agree that all steps are looping as when there is some new knowledge, we need to update ourselves in order to have a better foundation for further thinking.) No matter synthesis or evaluation rank first, after synthesis, I think evaluation should follow to have justification and have improvement in the existing idea.
VAK Learning Styles
(ref: http://www.businessballs.com/vaklearningstylestest.htm retrieved on 7th Feb., 2009)
“Traveling thousands of miles is better than reading thousands of books”. For my interpretation, this old Chinese saying can describe the characteristic of the kinesthetic learners. It’s because they prefer moving their bodies (i.e. traveling thousands of miles) to sit down and read thousands of books.

(Pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/masone/174604952/)
I cannot concentrate on studying in the library or the study room for long periods of time. I will fall into sleep easily. The efficiency is usually low. Instead, I prefer moving from place to place during my revision. In addition, I like learning by doing. Sometimes, without the process of doing, I think I just miss out something.
(Revised ~ the inspiration came from Anne’s sharing: Although the test showed that I prefer kinesthetic learning styles, not always in the case. For some complicated theory and definition, I prefer my friends will read it out or share their interpretation to me and then I will find it easier to remember. When I studied History during the secondary school, I hoped some related theme of movies would be demonstrated what’s happened at that time.)
I have heard this term of “VAK” during the orientation program of HKCC. I remembered the speaker said that a good lecture contains diversified elements that could fit the needs of VAK learners. The following is the examples. A lecturer provides visual aids, encourages the students to share their ideas and experience, allows students to have some activities, e.g. games, role play, etc.
(Shekz: This time, the reflection is a bit long =P But thanks for your attention!! =] )

hello, I agree with your idea of looping in the Bloom's Taxonomy.
回覆刪除In fact, looping occurs in every stage of the Bloom's Taxonomy, not just in the last two stages.
Try to think of everything is come out from the knowledge stage, without knowledge, we can't explain what we know, apply whatwe have, etc.
After the evaluation stage, we get new knowledge.
So it loops and loops...
Do you agree?
In my point of view, your application of bloom's taxonomy is good! As a staff of IKEA, you need to memorize lots of features of different furnitures, it's quite hard, right? :]
回覆刪除Also, I think synthesis should be ranked first because it's necessary to combine various information together and thus judge whether it's suitable for specific case. Do you think so?
~Time for reply~
回覆刪除Sharon,
Thanks for your visiting =] Thanks for your inspiration. Yes! I agree with you that every step is a looping. As knowledge is the foundation, once new knowledge has been updated, we will need to revise the knowledge level. Is my interpretation right? Haha^^ Thanks for your comment.
Agnes,
Actually, at first I was totally amazed by the different kinds of combination, now I feel more comfortable. “Practice makes perfect.” I think this can be applied to the routine works. Although my work is not at the perfect level, I think it is satisfactory. Haha^^
I think there is no definite answer for the ranking of Synthesis & Evaluation. Right? After you’ve done the analysis, you can choose to form a whole picture or evaluate your analysis. Do you agree? Lastly, thanks for your comment =]
Well, I agree that evaluation and synthesis are looping, yet, after reading others blogs, I think not only these two steps are looping. For example, sometime after evaluation, we may need to modify and apply again and go back to the previous steps.
回覆刪除For the VAK lecturer example, in fact, I'm not so interest in those activities much, any suggestion for me as to match my learning style?
I am different from you. I am a visual learner. So it is good for me to watch you do something before I try it myself. haha.. Since you enjoy learning by doing, you can show me the procedure. XD
回覆刪除~Time for reply~
回覆刪除Edith,
Yes, I agree with you and Sharon that not only these two steps are looping; every other step is also looping. When we receive the most updated knowledge, we will revise our knowledge which is the foundation for higher order thinking. My confusion is the ranking about synthesis and evaluation. Is it no definite answer for the ranking?
Fion,
Haha XD Maybe you will be disappointed with me. From Anne’s sharing, “the VAK test shows the inclination of one’s preferable style of learning” and “it may vary sometime later”. I am not always be the kinesthetic learner.
~Time for reply~
回覆刪除To Edith,
Regarding your second question:
This is the PDF file that I found from the internet. http://www.newhavenrtc.com/articles/Learning.pdf (retrieved on 9 Feb,2009) These are the examples to match different styles of learning. Hope you can find one =]
I also agree your opinion about the ranking of bloom's taxonomy. It is because many people like to find some problems, then creating the solution. I think this phenomenon is related to the communication mode. For example: discuss forum, they post the topic and proof which involve the creation.
回覆刪除IKEA experience is relevant. And will Bloom's taxonomy be applicable for top management?
回覆刪除VAK - do you think our CC3151 incorporate all the elements as you stated?
~Time for reply~
回覆刪除Stephen,
Yes, in the discussion forum, people post some questions and seek for comments. After receiving the comments, an individual will form a new picture and evaluate which comments are helpful to solve the problem.
Icircuit,
For top management,
~ Memorize the company’s background, mission, vision, philosophy, policy and practice.
~ Describe the above information to the staff, especially in the orientation program, the annual dinner and conference meeting.
~ Base on the current situation (e.g. the financial situation, market share, etc.) to interpret the profitability of the company.
~ Analyze whether the existing practice of the company needs to change or not in order to meet the new demand of the market or survive in the industry.
~ Combine the ideas to form a new picture and propose some strategies or targets.
~ Evaluate which strategy most fit into the company. Hence, the goals will be easily attained.
~ Make the final decision.
Besides top management, I also think Bloom’s taxonomy also can apply to every career. Although the tasks of frontline and management are totally different, operational VS strategical, we can use the Bloom’s taxonomy to explain.
Can I think of this way?
For the VAK, haha XD I think CC3151 not yet incorporate all the elements.
V: Visual aids -> power point, notes, articles, video =]
A: Share our views, ideas, and experience =] (Will there some songs for some complicated theory!? Haha)
K: Write the blog (um… stay natural at this moment, but I know there are some hidden long-term benefits for the students), visit =] (But no games!!!)